Ron Wilson – Of Counsel
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Civil Rights & Public Interest Litigation
Since graduating from law school, he has been engaged in the private
practice of law – primarily public interest and civil rights litigation. He is a cooperating attorney with the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, handling primarily employment and voting rights cases, and the American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana, litigating Establishment Clause cases.
He has litigated numerous cases in the areas of housing discrimination,
employment discrimination, school desegregation, voting rights, police misconduct, prison conditions, separation of church and state, freedom of speech, freedom of association, due process of law and equal protection. He has prepared and/or assisted in the preparation of briefs submitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Fifth Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court. He was one of the attorneys of record in Edwards v. Aguillard, 107 S.Ct. 2573, in which the Louisiana Creation Science law was declared unconstitutional, and Chisom v. Roemer, 111 S.Ct. 2334 (1991), in which the Voting Rights Act of 1965, as amended, 42 U.S.C. 1973, et seq., was held applicable to judicial elections.
He has been appeared panelist and/or lecturer at numerous continuing legal education seminars, discussing trends and developments in the law, particularly in the areas of employment discrimination, police misconduct, voting rights, and ethics. In addition, he has served as an adjunct faculty at the University of New Orleans, in the Department of Political Science.
- Louisiana, 1975
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Eastern, Middle, Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana Cooperating Attorney of the Year (1986).
- Louisiana State Bar Association “Pro Bono Publico” Award for Outstanding Achievements in the Area of Pro Bono Legal Service (1987).
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Community Service Award (1988).
- East Jefferson Coalition for Leadership and Development Community Service Award (1988).
- The Greater New Orleans Chapter of the National Conference of Black Lawyers Earl J. Amedee Award (1990).
- Louis A. Martinet Legal Society A. P. Tureaud Award (1993).
- University of New Orleans Ernest “Dutch” Morial Chapter Alumni of the Year (1997).
- American Civil Liberties Union of Louisiana Ben Smith Award (1999)
- University of New Orleans History Department Alumni of the Year (2007).
- Southern Christian Leadership Conference Community Service Award (2008).
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Oregon Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association – Member
- American Bar Association – Member
- American Trial Lawyers Association – Member
- Louis Martinet Legal Society – Member
- Legal Aid Bureau – Vice President
- Governor’s Transition Team for Tort & Insurance Reform